Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Montana thermostat replacement complete

This is the tool (available from Amazon) to have to get around the exhaust manifold that stands in the way of getting access to the bottom bolt of the thermostat housing.
Instead of making my own video, I simply refer you to the video that helped me figure out I *could* tackle this myself.  The link starts you where he describes using an S-wrench - similar idea but this one leaves the handle out and accessible.  He doesn't advertise this one as a solution, but I found it in the comments to his video and certainly does the job!

Some of the comments say you should be able to leave the bottom bolt in, as the housing has a slot instead of a hole.  However, I couldn't get enough clearance with it in place to get over the protrusion of the thermostat itself, so the bolt had to come out, then get started (one finger from the bottom plus 1 screwdriver from the top had access for that job!)

All told, with the purchase of 13mm wrenches, a gallon of Prestone, the thermostat and cabin filters I dropped $75.59 on this project that my mechanic wanted $275 for.  Then probably after he got into it and attempted to remove the exhaust crossover pipe and broke something off the price would have gone up from there.

No comments: