Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ubuntu renewed!

It's been three years since I put together my Ubuntu computer out of scrap parts in the basement. I've decided I now want to try my hand at putting together a web site that allows for user login management and create lists of items. I bought PHP & MySQL Everyday Apps for Dummies, thinking that must be the way to figure this stuff out -- just "do it"!

By page 11, it became apparent that I needed the right server configuration, and I could no longer get Internet updates for my Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, so I found an unused 80GB HDD to format and start fresh with 10.04 Lucid Linx.

I've pretty much got my Ubuntu server back to where I started, with the addition of MySQL being installed along side Apache & PHP. It severs up the original static pages I built so long ago here http://waynerossis.boldlygoingnowhere.org. Maybe by the time you read this there will be new content there and some database related 'stuff'!

Now just have to set up remote access so I don't need to be physically at the machine to make edits, then I can get past page 11 and start seeing how this stuff works!

No comments: