Friday, March 21, 2008

Working on Ubuntu setup

A couple weeks ago my brother and sister-in-law gave me an older computer, on which I wanted to set up a home-based web server.

So far, I've managed to get Ubuntu 7.04 "the Feisty Fawn" installed, got vsFTP server running, signed up for a DynDns domain name (WayneRossIs.BoldlyGoingNoWhere.org), set up ddclient to keep that DNS pointed at my current cable-modem's IP address, and now I'm on to setting up a web server.

I am still stumbling on how to get the users I want to have access to my machine. So far, I can sign in within my house and have it work the way I want, but if I go over the cable modem/router the actual file transfer and directory listings don't go through. I poked ports 20 & 21 through my LinkSys, but there seems to be something more that I need to do...

I found a helpful Tutorial here for setting up Apache 2. Didn't take too much effort, and it was up and running a simple set of static web pages in just a few minutes! See the results here!

Following that, I set up SAMBA following this detailed guide, and that was good to go!

No comments: